Think “Om Shanti Shanti” is for new age gurus? Think again. Chronic stress damages immunity, wreaks havoc on your adrenal glands, and hurts your brain and joints. Unstress every day with meditation, nature walking, power napping, and a good night's sleep.
THE DE-STRESS LIST
Handpicked. From education to self-care solutions.
01. Keep calm and carry on for the sake of your long-term health
Reacting positively to stressful situations may play a key role in long-term health, according to researchers. Adults who fail to maintain positive moods such as cheerfulness or calm when faced with the minor stressors of everyday life appear to have elevated levels of inflammation.
02. Childhood, disrupted
Adversity in childhood can create long-lasting scars, damaging our cells and our DNA, and making us sick as adults.
03. Childhood stress may prime pump for chronic disease later
A study published this week in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology indicates that emotional distress during childhood — even in the absence of high stress during adult years — can increase the risk of developing heart disease and metabolic disorders such as diabetes in adulthood.
04. Bacteria implicated in stress-related heart attacks
Stress hormones break up bacterial biofilms, potentially dispersing plaque deposits into the bloodstream.
05. Alzheimer’s and stress: A new study reaffirms the link
It is chronic stress — the ongoing, unrelenting stress you might experience in, say, a difficult job or living situation — that's the culprit.
06. Top 10 tips to reduce stress
It may be impossible to avoid stress entirely, but we can learn to cope with it when it arrives… Check out these tips from wellness experts.
07. Why some people respond to stress by falling asleep
You can be driven to sleep simply by having a lot of emotional memories to process. Don't resist. Sleep heals everything.
08. 106 Destress playlists
We’ve tested out some of these tracks and are already feeling calmer…
09. Turns out sound healing can be actually, well, healing
A cynic’s revelation on sound healing for relaxation.
10. Tibetan healing sounds
11 hours of Tibetan bowls for meditation, calming and healing. Luckily you don't have to live with Tibetan monks to feel the healing vibe.
11. The harmonic destiny of healing
Watch the video to hear more about role of meditation, stress reduction and sound for healing.
12. Biofeedback therapy: A proven treatment for 16+ medical conditions
Various forms of biofeedback therapy—using muscle relaxation, breathing and mental exercises—are now proven in numerous studies to treat more than a dozen health conditions.
13. A study says eating pickles could help you feel less anxious
Researchers at William & Mary and the University of Maryland say that they found a connection between eating pickled foods and feeling less anxious.
14. Are you getting enough vitamins of the air? The lowdown on ions, air ionizers and salt lamps
Negative ions are the invisible forces of awesomeness that we inhale ocean-side, in the mountains and at waterfalls. They also come through your feet when earthing barefoot. When they hit your bloodstream, they are like sweet nectar, producing biochemical reactions that elevate your mood, lower stress levels, and positively impact your sleep.
15. Study: Flotation therapy alleviates stress, anxiety, depression, and more
The goal of flotation therapy is sensory isolation, removing the mind from the bombardment of stressful stimuli that we face on a daily basis by plunging it into deep relaxation and meditation.
16. The buoyant mind
What happens when our mind is deprived of all sensation? Travel into the mind's eye when you are placed into a flotation tank.
17. “Forest bathing”: Stress-reducer, immune-booster, and artistic inspiration
Research into Japanese “forest bathing” offers a new and interesting take on the conventional wisdom that exposure to nature reduces stress. The term “forest bathing” is the translation of a Japanese term, Shinrin-yoku, which refers to spending time in forests to reduce stress.
18. Book readers live longer lives, according to new study from Yale University
People who read books (but not so much magazines and newspapers) live two years longer, on average, than those who don’t read at all.
19. Why meditate?
One minute with the Dalai Lama.
20. One moment meditation
Yes, you have time for meditation. How to meditate in a moment.
21. How to de-stress in 30 seconds or less with micro-meditation
Sure, we know that taking some time to relax can do wonders for our health, but it’s not easy to find openings in our busy schedules to actually do it. Well, that’s where micro-meditation comes to play, a new trend that’s getting some serious buzz.
22. 3 deep breathing exercises to reduce stress & anxiety
This video teaches 3 easy deep breathing exercises I've been using a lot to help calm and relax.
23. Stress-relieving self hand massage
Take stress relief into your own hands with tips from this video.
24. Yoga poses for relieving stress and anxiety
Practicing yoga is one guaranteed way of relieving stress. Some of the stress relief techniques, deep breathing exercises taught as part of yoga training are excellent ways of dealing with anxiety and stress.
25. Deepak Chopra’s top 8 meditation tips
Deepak and Oprah talk meditation on Super Soul Sunday.
25. What is the secret to enlightenment?
Deepak Chopra explains that the cause of suffering is not knowing who you really are. The cure is to wake up to your true self.
27. Eliminate negative thoughts
The origin of negative thinking and how to eliminate it forever.
28. How to change your frequency to change your reality
When you change your personal energy frequency you literally start to change your life.
29. 15 things you should give up to be happy
We hold on to so many things that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering. Instead of letting them all go, instead of allowing ourselves to be stress free and happy – we cling on to them. Not anymore.